a mediaeval city gate on Nieuwmarkt square in the Old Centre
The Waag (the Weighhouse) is a remnant of the former city walls in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Originally it was one of the city gates.
Old city gate De Waag in the Nieuwmarkt neighbourhood
When the city wall disappeared, the Nieuwmarkt (new market) was created around it and the weighing scales for the market were placed in the former gate. The name stems from that period (Waag is an old Dutch word for scale).
The building carries the oldest plaque in Amsterdam, which reads "On 28 April 1488 the first stone of this gate was laid."
Old defensive walls
The city walls that the 'Anthoniespoort' (former name of De Waag) was part of were built in the years 1481-1494. These walls have now completely disappeared and the only remnants are this gate, the lower part of another gate, the Regulierspoort (now the Munttoren) and one defence tower, the Schreierstoren.
When in the late 16th century the city expanded the wall was torn down and the gate lost its function. The defensive canal and palissade around the gate was turned into a market square. In the process the ground level was raised, so the building is no longer quite as high as it used to be. For the new weighing function the original front and rear gate were connected with a roof.
Each guild had its own entrance tower. In 1632 Rembrandt van Rijn was commissioned to paint the surgeons at work, and the resulting 'Anatomical Lesson of Dr. Tulp' made his name. In 1691 a theatrum anatomicum was added, which became famous for admitting (paying) members of the public to witness human dissections.
After the guilds were dissolved around 1795 the building served numerous purposes, later housing a fire brigade and two museums before it was handed over to a foundation in 1990. This had plans to partly destroy the building, but it went bankrupt before any plans were carried out.
The neighbourhood and monument lovers convinced the Amsterdam city council that the building deserved a better fate. It was decided to restore it in keeping with its mediaeval background. Waag Society became the principal tenant in 1996.
View on De Waag from Kloveniersburgwal
click on image to enlarge map
De WaagNieuwmarkt 4
Amsterdam (Nieuwmarkt) official websites
Waag Society - new media institution and medialab
Opening hours 〉 Lunch
Opening hours 〉 Dinner
old fortification tower from 1512
Visit the house in which Rembrandt lived and worked from 1639 till 1658.
First protestant church of Amsterdam
authentic Chinese restaurants, shops, salons, markets, apothecaries, and the Fo Guang Shan temple