Amsterdam Sights

The Bartolotti House

built in 1617 for the rich Amsterdammer Willem van den Heuvel


The Bartolotti House is a seventeenth century canal house on the Herengracht. Beautifully built and decorated on a location where rich citizens had their houses built alongside the canals. One of these was Michael de Pauw, who in 1638 granted to Philip Vingboons - at that time one of Amsterdam's foremost architects - the commission to construct the building on the site of Herengracht 168.


The Bartolotti House on the Herengracht from 1617, built in a curve of the canal

One special innovative feature of the house is the neck-gable, the first that was built in Amsterdam. Isaac de Moucheron and Jacob de Wit painted the walls and ceilings of both rooms. The former painted the buildings and landscapes, the latter the figures.

The neighbouring house was built in 1617, as a commission from Willem van den Heuvel, who had changed his name to Guillelmo Bartolotti. He was the heir to Giovanni Baptista Bartolotti, a rich businessman from Bologna who was married to the aunt of Willem van den Heuvel. The two-part house was probably designed by Hendrick de Keyser. In the front room, the paintings on the ceiling and grisailles are again by Jacob de Wit, and the wall paintings by Isaac de Moucheron.

How to get there?

By tram: 1, 2 or 5 stop Spui; 13 or 17 stop Westermarkt
By car: nearest car park Europarking


 click on image to enlarge map

Bartolotti House

Herengracht 170
Amsterdam (Canal Belt)

official website
stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl