Tips for visitors
Did you know that ...
- attended parking is available for just €1 per day?
- you can visit an exhibition in peace and quite during evening hours?
- you can store your luggage safely in central Amsterdam?
- the easiest and cheapest way to travel from the airport to Amsterdam is by train?
- you can download a parking map free of charge?
- you can get a refund of Value Added Tax (VAT)?
- comfortable walking shoes are a must in Amsterdam?
- you should always carry an umbrella?
- you can purchase the I amsterdam Card and then visit major tourist attractions and restaurants for free or at a discount?
- a free walking tour starts everyday at 11:00am and 3:00pm in front of Centraal Station?
- the Museum Card is the cheapest way to explore Dutch museums?
- you can park all day in in the centre of Amsterdam for €20?
- the best hours to visit an Amsterdam museum are in the morning?
- you can travel for €17 from the airport to your hotel with the Schiphol Hotel Shuttle?
- using a 24/48/72/96-hour ticket is a cost effective way to get around on public transport.
- the Dutch invented gin?
- you can visit a concert in the famous Concertgebouw for free?
- the headquarters of the Dutch West India Company were in Amsterdam?
- many shops, cafes and restaurants don't accept credit cards?
- a canal cruise is the best visited tourist attraction in Holland?
- you can haggle over the price on the Waterlooplein flea market?
- you can have a good dinner for a rather small price in an eetcafé?
- in January and July stores offer the biggest discounts?
Amsterdam in numbersa short list of interesting facts and figures
Online ticketsAvoid queues, get discounts or good time slots. online ticket service
Where to sleep in Amsterdam?Find out what our recommendations are.
AvoidThings to avoid in Amsterdam
Family winter fun eventDutch Ice Sculpture Festival
Dec 10, 2016 - Feb 5, 2017